Key Lime Pie
This is the Key lime pie recipe that inspired my earlier Peach Cream pie post. Key lime pie is one of my favorite pies.
- 9-inch graham cracker crust pie shell
- 1 pack or 9 ounces of graham crackers
- 6 Tbsp of melted butter
- 2 Tbsp organic cane sugar
- Key lime pie filling
- 1/2 cup fresh Key lime juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 14 fl ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (optional; for whipped cream topping)
- Slices of Key limes for garnish
- Prepare and bake graham cracker pie crust.
- Prepare Key lime pie filling.
- Prepare whipped cream.
- Slice Key limes (for garnish if desired).
Graham cracker pie crust:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Process graham crackers into a fine crumb in a food processor.
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and organic sugar in a medium sized bowl; mix well.
- Pour mixture into 9-inch glass pie plate and press evenly over the bottom and up the sides; do not go over the height of the pie plate.
- Place in the pre-heated oven on the middle rack; cook for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove pie pan from oven, place on a rack or other heat proof surface; cool to room temperature.
- Leave oven on.
Key lime pie filling:
- Whisk egg yolk until well scrambled.
- Add Key lime juice; mix well.
- Add sweetened condensed milk; mix well (will begin to visibly thicken at this point).
- Pour the mixture through a strainer into prepared (baked) graham cracker pie crust; you should have enough to fill to just below the top rim of the pie shell. (Pouring the mixture through a strainer will keep the two white protein fiber bundles or “chalazae”, which are attached to every egg yolk and do not break down in cooking, from going into the pie.)
- Place in oven on the middle rack; cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack or heatproof surface.
- Carefully cover with plastic wrap; place in the fridge for at least 4 hours to set.
Prepare the whipped cream (just before serving the pie)
- Place 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream in mixer; using the whisk attachment slowly increase speed setting until you reach the highest speed; mix until the peaks in the cream do not fall or settle (7-10 minutes). Spoon into a cold serving bowl.
Key Lime Pie